We believe in providing client-centered care — specifically, preventing the death of a baby before the age of one and any other poor health outcomes during the perinatal period. We work with our families in their residences, to ensure that every child has a safe, nurturing, thriving environment every day, for the first few years of life — and beyond.
Baltimore Healthy Start, Inc. recruits pregnant and postpartum women with a child less than six months old, who live in one of our targeted communities . We assign new enrollees to a Neighborhood Health Advocate, a staff member who performs home visits and provides necessary, individualized support to the family until the newborn reaches 18 months of age .
We offer wellness services, including:
- Family planning (in home or at the center)
- Preventive screenings to identify early pregnancy complications (IPV, smoking etc.)
- Mental health and other health screenings, with appropriate referrals
- Belly Buddies
- Sister Circle
- Transportation to health care appointments and center services
- Child care for parents during classes/events at the center
- GED classes
- Parent Leadership Group
- BHS Store
- Monthly Events
- Community Action Network (Federal Healthy Start)