Home visiting programs provide in-home support to pregnant and newly delivered women with the goal of improving the health of infants through early childhood. Families are matched with a home visiting program best suited for them based on their health profile, place of residence and other factors.
Enrollment into one of Baltimore Healthy Start, Inc.’s program begins at recruitment. Recruitment happens in two ways: 1) Health Care Access Maryland triages all women eligible for home visiting into the right program for them across Baltimore City. 2) A Baltimore Healthy Start, Inc. recruiter enrolls each pregnant and postpartum woman with a child less than six months old, who live in one of our targeted communities.
We offer two home visiting programs:
- The Healthy Start Program is an initiative mandated to reduce the rate of infant mortality and improve perinatal outcomes through grants to project areas with high annual rates of infant mortality in one or more subpopulations. The program focuses on the contributing factors which research shows influence the perinatal trends in high-risk communities. Families will be enrolled in the program until the newborn reaches 24 months of age.
- Healthy Families America (HFA), the signature program of Prevent Child Abuse America, is designed for parents facing challenges such as single parenthood; low income; childhood history of abuse and other adverse child experiences; and current or previous issues related to substance abuse, mental health issues, and/or domestic violence. Families will be enrolled in the program until the newborn reaches 36 months of age.
Services and resources provided throughout our programs allow mothers and families to:
- Talk out their problems and manage stress
- Manage any health concerns
- Know what to expect each month of pregnancy
- Connect with services that support their individual needs
- Get medical information consistent with national guidelines
- Resolve issues that are too lengthy to address during a normal prenatal or postpartum visit
- Screen children for developmental delays and milestone achievement using evidenced-based tools such as Ages and Stages Questionnaires.
Want to enroll? Call HealthCare Access Maryland to find out which home visiting program is best for you: 410-649-0500.